Monday, April 8, 2013

Forget LA, what about Phil Irwin

The Pirates looked absolutely awful in LA.  Admittedly Zack Grienke and Clayton Kershaw can do that to bats, but still, it was embarrassing.  If not for McCutchen's homer, I think I may have given up all hope for this season.

The good news is we looked a lot better today in Arizona.  An early lead, McCutchen driving in multiple runs, and in the end a great bullpen performance leading to a victory.  Marte and McCutchen look great.  Jones hit a homer, which is a hopeful sign, and Travis Snider has gotten a few hits now.  Hopefully Alvarez comes around soon, and maybe Walker too.  Then we could have a real offense.

The bad news is that Wandy Rodriguiz left with a leg problem that has been described as a hamstring issue.  That is not so good, as both our wins came on his starts.  I am not sure the Pirates can afford to add him to the list of Karstens, Morton, and Lirano of good pitchers not pitching.

If he does go on the DL, what I would like to see is a promotion of Phil Irwin.  I really like this guy.  He just gets the job done.  His first start this year was six good innings.  One walk, one run, five strikeouts.  He has done nothing but win at every level.  He does not have the blow your mind speed on the fastball, but he has the results, and he deserves a shot.  I like him better than McPherson, at least at this point.  I say, bring up Irwin and let him have a shot.

I would rather Wandy not go on the DL at all, but just thinking out loud.

No comments:

Post a Comment