Saturday, July 28, 2012

Wandy Rodriguez Trade Analysis

I have to say that I think I am against this most recent move despite the fact that it makes us better this year.

Wandy is a good pitcher, and can fit in as a solid number 3 guy behind Burnett and McDonald.  But unlike McDonald, he has done it for a whole season and has post season experience.  It moves Correia to the bullpen, which makes the team better overall.  However, I think the price was too high.

Wandy for Rudy Owens makes sense despite my belief Rudy will make a good 4 or 5 guy for years to come.  Wandy has some years of control left, which makes Rudy's path to the big leagues harder.  Might as well send him on so he can have a shot at the majors.  I can acknowledge the need to add another player to this deal.  Colton Cain was in my top 10 prospect list, which means the Pirates just traded away two of their top 10 guys in my book.  Admittedly Cain was probably going to drop out of the top 10 with his so-so year.  And I guess Cain does not have a lot of room to assume adding speed, so what you see is what you get.  Still Cain has a power fastball, and his secondary pitches can still improve.  His year is a disappointment, but not a loss.  I would imagine he would still move up next year to AA.

The problem I have is adding a third player with the caliber of talent of a Robbie Grossman.  Robbie had a great year last year, and was on fire after a very slow start that could either be attributed to recovering from his hamate surgery or an undisclosed bad attitude that got him suspended for over a week earlier this year.  Since that time, it is hard to complain and his numbers look good from that point on.  He was showing all he could play at the high levels.  His power still needs to come up, but that developing is not out of the question.  If Marte can still have hope of power, so can Grossman.  I had Grossman near my top 10, and sometimes I would put him in it.  I just don't get Wandy as worth three of your top 10 guys (in last year's rankings anyway).

Now, I can see the logic.  Wandy is an upgrade over Rudy and removes your need for him.  And Cain has been passed by Cole and Taillion, so Cain does not need to be in your future plans.  Especially with the show some of the younger guys are putting on this year in Rookie and State College.  Heredia is better than Cain right now, so he is no more than a future 4th starter.  And I can see reasons for sending Grossman.  He would have to be on the 40 man, and with the addition of Rojas and Bell, the outfield has a lot of people, and Grossman is not really needed.  Although one could make the case with Tabata being so bad this year, that maybe he will be needed while those guys move up the system.  I just cannot fathom Wandy being worth all of them.  Clearly the Pirates think more of Kyle McPhearson than I do (which makes Cain lower in importance for the Pirates), but his injury should show the real value of even guys like Cain.  You have to wonder a little if the mid-season suspension of Grossman really soured the Pirates on him.

I hope Wandy proves me wrong.  And I like getting a guy who is under control for next year, and even an option for 2014.  So while I think they overpaid, it is hard to complain too much.  Make the playoffs and all will be forgiven.  His experience their could come in real handy.

No comments:

Post a Comment