Friday, April 1, 2011

Opening Day - Season Predictions

Predictions are always tough. How to separate my routing interest from the facts. I am not always very good at it. But another thing that makes it difficult is that the Pirates of post July are going to look a lot different from the Opening Day roster. So, here is my stab at the Pirates.

Overall record: 81-81.
Yep, I think the Pirates are going to break even. My main reason for thinking such a good season are the impending trades and promotions. The end of the season Pirates are going to be very different and featuring at least Rudy Owens, which will upgrade the bad pitching staff. I also expect at least two big trades that might bring more major league talent. But it is not just the Pirates that will look different. I think the Brewers will sale off most of their team, but most especially Prince Fielder. This will ruin their season. I think the distraction of Albert Pujols will hurt the Cards and those things will gain the Pirates a few wins.

Names traded: Doumit, Malholm, Hanrahan, Diaz, and Biemel
I do think the Pirates will listen to offers for everyone, and will get big returns from Malholm and Hanrahan. Doumit will be a net loss trade, but it will free the Pirates a roster spot. Diaz and Biemel will be for minor league hopes, but that is good enough for me. I don't think the Pirates are going to be able to jettison Cedano.

NL Central Champ: Reds
They won last year and return all the major parts. No reason to doubt a repeat.

World Series Champs: Twins
This team has won the AL Central without their best player two years in a row. If Morneo can actual play in the playoffs this team will win a lot more than they have. Plus, they upgraded second base in the off season. I think they take down the Phils in the WS.

Those are the season predictions. Now it is time to sit back and enjoy the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment