Thursday, October 21, 2010

Wedge out but maybe Tony Pena

There is a nice article about the Pirate manager slot. I had not thought about Tony Pena before. That would be perfect. I hope that the Pirates are holding out for some more manager interviews. With Wedge out of the conversation since being hired by the Mariners, I have two favorites. Ron Wotus (as I mentioned in the last post), and Tony Pena. I think Art Howe is a distant third with Ken Macha behind that.
I have already sung the praises of Ron Wotus, and I think the playoffs are showing what a great coaching staff the Giants have. Now let me wax on about Tony Pena. If memory serves me right, he was the head guy with Kansas City in the past. Not altogether successful, but experience nonetheless. Pena has for some time now sat at the feet of Joe Girradi, a great manager, and been bench coach in New York. There is no place to learn what it is like to win than with the Yankees. Pena also has connections to the Pirate past, which I think is a plus, but I do not think that current management cares as much as I do. I also think he would show more emotion than

I have to admit a coaching staff of Pena with Andy Van Slyke as a third base coach is a dream I can only dare hopes come true.

No comments:

Post a Comment