Tuesday, September 7, 2010

September Call Ups

I personally like what the Pirates did. They have called up just about everyone they could. They have some big decisions to make in the off season, so might as well get a look at everyone you can. And why not go ahead and start bullpen try out right now. Might save some innings on Meek and Hanrahan too.

Here are the call ups. Brad Lincoln, Justin Thomas, Brian Bass, and Steven Jackson as pitchers. Alex Presley, Brandon Moss, Jason Jarmillo, and Pedro Ciriaco for the field.

Now some spots had to be opened up as Moss, Presley, Jackson, and Ciriaco were not on the 40 Man roster. So, Ross Ohelendorf was moved to the 60 Day DL as was Jeff Clement. Then Aki Iwamura and Eric Kratz were Designated for Assignment.

Mostly I like it. I like the massive additions. Clearly Lincoln needs to get some more starts under his belt. Thomas gives you an extra lefty in the pen. Jackson and Bass can help out a pen, so they have a benefit. Jackson has seen action already, and Bass might could give you a post start, which seems to be something the Pirates might need as Karstens looks fragile.

Ciriaco needed to be called up as well since he will be competing for a spot on next year’s roster with Argentis Diaz. He does need to play. I hope we have seen the last of Cedano for the season. Let the kid play. Presley was a bit of a surprise. I figure he will go unprotected this summer, but it is a nice reward for a great season. I look forward to seeing what he can do. I hope this means we will see little to nothing of Milledge and maybe a few more off days for Tabata and McCutchen. Especially McCutchen, who maybe playing through some injuries. Jarmillo, I could take it or leave it. I personally like Kratz better, but it is what it is. Moss played well enough to get a shot as well. He could be a valuable trade piece if they let him see what he can do in the outfield again.

My complaints are small. I like Kratz better than Jarmillo, but Jarmillo is younger. Neither is a prospect so no real issue. Although I think cutting him now gives the Pirates a better chance at him clearing waivers than if they did it in teh winter. So he should still be in the Pirate system. The other is Aki Iwamura. Yes, we are dumping him in the off season anyway. But I feel a little like we paid 4 million for him to play AAA ball. I would have preferred him to get some time at second or third (resting Alvarez) just to get a little more return on the investment. I suppose I would have called him up and left Bass off the roster as he is not fighting for a job next year. I do see how it would have been difficult to find time for Aki other than pinch running, and Bass can be used. Still, it seems like such a waste.

Other than that, I am excited with the new additions to the Pirates. Don’t forget that Bowker and Martinez were already called up. Should be nice to see how they fit into the Pirate picture as well. Let the competition begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment