It is always good to face the Cubs, no matter how hot they have been. We are a better team than they are.
One can view this victory as a great positive or a big negative. This is one of those games that reveals whether or not you are a glass half full or half empty kind of a guy.
Glass half full:
- Ross Ohlendorf pitched great. He gave up one run in 7 innings. He got the big strikeouts when he needed to, and settled into a groove. Over 100 pitches and a 2 to 1 strike to ball ratio.
- The stars all hit. McCutchen, Jones, Walker, and Doumit all raised their averages in this game.
- Clutch hitting. Two out RBIs are hard to come by on this team and it happened today. With a pinch hit from Bobby Crosby no less.
- Bullpen strong again. Meek and Dotel had great innings.
- Jones hit a homerun and got another hit. His bat might be heating up.
Glass half empty:
- Only two runs is hardly a break out game.
- The hits were spread out and not meaning full with the exception of Crosby's game winner. The Pirates remain unable to produce runs. McCutchen had a two out hit and a walk, but never scored. Walker had a two out hit or two and had no RBIs. This team is incapable of hitting all at the same time.
- We gave up early runs again. The Pirates do not ever seem to play with a lead. For this offensively challenged team that is a death sentence.
- What are the coaches thinking with this line up? LaRoche and his 11 RBIs is the third place hitter? Come on. He is not a RBI guy.
- Jones's homerun was on a mistake pitch that was supposed to be outside, but stayed inside. Jones remains incapable of hitting the pitch away for any power, and usually hitting it anywhere at all.
- Clement, LaRoche, and Church/Milledge did not show any signs of life during this game. That is bad.
Either way you look at it, it is still a win which are in short supply. In a quest for a winning season, you have to grab a few bad games like this one.
Pirates notes: Cole, etc.
6 hours ago